The unveiling of a blue plaque commemorating Dame Georgiana Buller took place on Saturday 23 September 2017 at Bellair, County Hall. Bellair was the home of Dame Georgiana Buller from 1926 until her death in 1953.
Dame Georgiana Buller, who was born in 1883, was a pioneer of the care and rehabilitation of injured and disabled people. During the First World War she managed Exeter’s war hospitals, and afterwards she was a driving force in establishing both the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Hospital, and later, St Loye’s College (now the Exeter charity Step One).
Historian and Civic Society member Dr Julia Neville spoke about Dame Georgiana’s achievements and legacy.
The unveiling was carried out by Dame Georgiana’s great-grand-nephew, Henry Parker.